If you haven’t jumped on the chia seed bandwagon, then you probably need to give yourself a good knock upside the head! Why? Well, chia seeds is an ancient super-food that has made a major comeback. Chia seeds are a concentrated food that has significant nutritional value; it includes omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, antioxidants, carbohydrates and calcium. Since chia seeds is an unprocessed whole-grain food, the human body is able to absorb it much easier than most seeds, such as flaxseed. Here are 5 reason why you should be eating chia seeds:
1. Rich source of antioxidants. Contains antioxidants that protect against free radicals that contribute to aging, cancer and environmental toxins. Plain and simple.
2. Packed with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Chia seeds contains five grams of omega-fatty acids in a one-ounce serving. Not only do fatty acids contribute to brain health, but it also contributes to healthy skin and hair.
3. Loaded with nutrients and minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus. One 28-gram serving of these super seeds has 4.4 grams of protein; every serving of these tiny seeds contain 18 percent of the recommended daily intake of calcium. Chia seeds are a great source of nutrients for bone health, hormonal secretion, and muscle health.
4. High source of soluble fiber and helps to crave cravings. Chia seeds are rich in fiber. The fiber absorbs large amounts of liquid and expands in the stomach which creates satiety, meaning that you feel full after eating; this results in lower food cravings. Tryptophan, an amino acid found in chia seeds, also helps to regulate appetite, sleep and helps to boost mood.
5. Energy boosting. Chia also is one of nature’s highest plant-based sources of complete protein. Why is this? Unlike other proteins including nuts and beans, you don’t have to combine chia with any other foods to receive the full benefit. Chia seeds contain enough protein to raise your energy levels with combining with other foods. The protein, vitamins, minerals contained in this super food all work together to give you energy throughout the day naturally. Need I say more.
You can add chia seeds to a drink, bake with it, use it as a thickener in a smoothie and sprinkle it on whatever you’re eating including fruits, veggies, salads and snacks. If you follow Jacq’s Organics on Instagram and Facebook, you’ll quickly notice that we love chia seeds, especially chia pudding. Below is our chia pudding recipe and also a recipe for a delicious thirst quenching Strawberry-Coconut Chia Fresca. This drink is perfect for cooling off during the summer months.
Chia Pudding Recipe
Mix ingredients in a pitcher. Stir, stir and stir. Enjoy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.